Tuesday, May 30, 2006

PakLand: Last Days - "Slogans vs Rickshaw"

Five days in Pakistan: Two in Lahore, One in Islamambad, and Two in Karachi - CRAZY! A total of four flights in five days is absolutely nerve wrecking, add to it your work back home + events + customer visits ... you would think I would not notice what was around me ... no! :D I will leave the more interesting to the end to make sure you read all!

1) Hotels: If you are planning to go to Pakistan (and I do not feel that anyone PLANS to go to Pakistan .. it is more like work sends me there because there are a big population and no money), their best hotel is the Marriott back in Islamabad. Although Islamabad as a city, was the quietest, definitely more modern, it lacked the colorful cultural feel of Karachi. Again, it being the capital - sort of raised the bar for Marriott ... making it so luxurious, you would forget about your food worries :D

2) Music: Ahhhhhhhh I still remember the high pitched drum beat! I could feel myself dancing to that! I love music ... and this was amazing to hear. In the Islamabad, in the Marriott lobby, a local 2 man show, one on their tabla and other singing while playing a sitar ... it was sensational. I might have not understood, and didnt like much the sitar, but the combination was amazing! The funny part was, there was a guy sitting opposite them ... basically doing nothing, but mouthing the words of the singer ... and actually using his hands to express the feelings behind them. As a semi-dry country, I didnt expect him to be drunk ... be he must have been some heartbroken dude ... who just lived their music. It was fun to watch ... and a treat to listen to.

3) Buses/Trucks/Rickshaws: It was amazing to see the art on their vehicles ... they take pride in their art. The more colorful, the better the vehicle. I am not sure if it is some pride competition between drivers, but I think it is more like they take pride in the vehicle that gets them their money ... and where they spend most of their day. End result for the tourist - a colorful broken down vehicle, carrying 100 people for the ten seats it holds.

4) Slogans - Now I would think this is the best part. As mentioned, I travelled via four flights to the different cities - all through PIA. While boarding the plane to Islamabad at 7 am (so i had to wake up at 5 for that) ... I look to my side, and see a huge slogan 'PIA: THE BEST IS YET TO COME' .... WHYYYYYYYY??? Why cant the best be now??? Do I have to get into a plane, where they are not sure when their best will be? and if what i boarded was not their best (which was very apparent), what else will they do? Serve bottled water, instead of water cups? I have to tell you I was not too confident travelling to Islamabad that day!

Another thing I realised about Pakistan - is that they are not ashamed they are the SECOND in the industry ... so a lot of the companies will have something like - 'SHAHEEN AIR - THE SECOND AIRLINE OF PAKISTAN' ... CMON!

The last one I remember, is an ad for some makeup kit that said 'the color that colours like never before!' ... what is that supposed to mean? So is there a chance the the colors we got used to, does not color the right way? Is there a chance that the existing "flower-faced" girls ... will get even more colorful because they are using this kit?

Anyways, I am back home ... getting ready for another trip by the end of the week :)

1 Comments:

At 6/15/2006 4:21 AM, Blogger antimena said...

FYI guys ... Mouna is the new nick I have from the Talawi's ... to be added to the database I have :)

Daloosh ... I am facing some problems formulating what happened in Canada. But I will not disappoint you ... it will happen sooner than you think :) u know me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home