Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Traveller's Log: EuroTrip 2005 - Frankfurt - Day 1 & 2 - The Convention

Starting your trip running around for the perfect bag, for the right clothes and for your unfinished visa is definitely not the best start to a trip ...but it is definitely the price you pay for procrastination :)

I hated packing ... or it was more like being anxious to what comes next. I felt like I was leaving my home for good this time ... I felt like I wanted to leave for good. So when I finally got my visa, my upgraded business class ticket and the complimentary orange juice ... I nearly broke down into heavy tears.

DAY 1 & 2 - The convention of broken plates

After an uneventful (thank God!) 7 hour trip, I landed in Frankfurt International Airport at 6pm local time. I faced no problems getting out of the airport but since my plane arrived around an hour early I ended waiting for Samuel (my friend from Africa) and his friend (my new one) Morris ... the ever famous Morris of Sayedna's (Bishop Paul) adventures in Europe ... in a McDonalds that served bacon as its primary meal! horray! We then took the rented black Merc ML320 for a 2 hour trip to where they were having their convention. It was very dark and unfamiliar. I knew only 4 people in total ... and the other 20 + were friendly yet not risking trying to get the know the new stranger. It was felt a bit lonely ... yet I was not here for the people ... I was here to meet God again.

It was a bit too late to join the convention, but it was still a great blessing. I needed to get out of Dubai ... get away from everything that kept on bothering me, and just be with God for a while. Even though I ended up sleeping late (in addition to the fact I havent slept the night before and had a long trip (9 hours in total)) ... I still slept soundly and woke up feeling good.

Had my first quiet time in ages ... a proper one. It felt good ... sitting down on a cold log, on a cold German morning. Liturgy was then held in the one of the mess halls, where it was conducted in Arabic, English, German and Coptic making it a revival to the Kenyan spirit that I always longed for.

One of the funny events that happened in this Liturgy, was that when Bishop Angelos (a bishop from England, who was leading the youth conference) was giving us the Body and Blood, Morris and another person were trying to help by getting one of the cabinets found in the corner so Sayedna can place the plate on it. Suddenly we hear a loud CRAAAAAAAAASH, as dozens of plates fell from the cabinet onto the cold ceramic floor creating the biggest glass mess I have seen in my life! I couldnt stop laughing for sometime and it was quite an embarrasment for Morris and his friend .. but it woke us up at least! :)

A long breakfast followed, then the last wa3za (sermon) was given by Bishop Angelos about what to do with the renewed knowledge of God's love. It was a much needed sermon for me ... a gentle reminder for a cold heart. After many long breaks - we decided to end the mo2tamar and go back home. Another long drive back, this time in Samuel's crammed Opel hatchback. He is one of the friendliest people I know - always looking out for my comfort. Actually even though to my pampered self, it was a bit too cold and a bit lonely (since everyone spoke in German), Samuel & his brother Chris made this trip for me, especially the 2 days of the convention. I enjoyed his company throughout. Morris came in a close second ;) I can't say that I blamed the Germans - I am a stranger after all:)

We end up in St Mark's Church in Frankfurt, waiting for the rest of the convoy to come. Apparently the youth leaders were to sit with Sayedna for final words of wisdom and encouragement. Their spirit caused me to feel jealous and embarassed at laziness that I lead in my service. Samuel and Morris are always thinking about what to do next, never feeling satisfied with what was achieved and always making sure that the youth gets to know God better and more. Something to take back with me.

Although it was not late (in German standards - which was 3 hours later than Dubai - esp with DST starting the day i arrived), I was dead and could not help myself sleeping during the bishop's final words. Ikept on hearing amazing encouragments but could not hold my head up high for long enough to get a coherent sentence. Pity! We said goodbye to sayedna, getting a promise that this time when he stops in Dubai, transiting to Australia (his homeland), he will stop for longer than the usual 4 hours ... to bless our youth and church with his energy.

Sleeping came so easy that day ... I wanted to get to know the Germans a bit more ...maybe tomorrow


ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................ +

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home